Over the years, the people in most countries have gotten bigger.
And by this, I don’t mean taller…I mean fatter.
I am from the US, (Texas, y’all!), so I know this area most of all, and it’s pretty well known that almost a full 75% of Americans are obese…and about half are morbidly obese.
All kinds of health problems – heart disease, stroke, diabetes, and early death, can be attributed to the rise of obesity.
But Americans eat LESS fat now than ever before…
Check out the following FACTS ABOUT FAT from my go-to nutritionist, Isabel De Los Rios.
1. Did you know that during the 60 year period from 1910-1970, the proportion of traditional animal fat in the American diet declined from 83% to 62%?
2. During this same time butter consumption plummeted from 18 pounds per person each year to 4 pounds per person each year.
3. During the past 80 years, the consumption of dietary cholesterol intake has increased only one percent.
Okay, so if we aren’t having butter and more and more people are controlling their cholesterol, what gives?
1. During the same period, the average intake of dietary vegetable oils (margarine, shortening, and refined oils) increased by about 400%.
2. During the same period, the consumption of sugar and processed foods increased by about 60%.
Isabel is convinced that you NEED fat in your diet, it’s just the kind of fat you ingest that you need to worry about.
It’s the bad fat in sugar, processed foods, junk foods, and fast foods that we DON’T need – and that is the kind of fat we eat most of, especially in the land of drive-thru’s!
(Okay, look at the dates of Isabel’s facts above… Is it a coincidence that the FIRST McDonald’s opened in 1954?! Nope, not at all. They knew when to capitalize on our laziness!)
How To Eliminate Processed Foods:
Take a look at my recent post, “Diet” Foods Damage Your Waistline” and start by NOT buying those items. You’ll remove a bunch of processed, artificial foods out of your meal plan….and you’ll immediately start to lose a few pounds.
Make sure oils you cook with are organic, and the butter you use is natural. Yes, Isabel says butter is OK in moderation!
Click Here to hear which fats are A-OK from Isabel! Hear it from the expert!
Wouldn’t you rather eat wholesome, nutritious WHOLE foods, than quick, fast-food fixes anyway? What is your favorite REAL food recipe?
Until next time,